Another post only a programmer could love… I’ve known for a long time that I had to rewrite my animation system. I cut a few corners so that I could share code between the animations and the special effects and the game scripts. The problem was, it wasn’t very optimal for a number of reasons. (memory, cache misses, load times, etc.) So, yesterday I decided to go for it and completely rewrite the entire system. I was a bit worried, but it actually was a lot easier than I had hoped. Additionally, Steve can start adding animations to the world, instead of just the characters in the game. Sweet!
I can’t really show how the code is different, so here’s a picture of Candice Lupus doing a backflip (using the new animation system.)